A new version of FLOW-3D/MP is now available. FLOW-3D/MP v6 is based on the workstation FLOW-3D version 11, released earlier this year, which introduced many new features and improvements to the solver and user interface, as well as all-new and very powerful post-processing with FlowSightTM. The following is a list of the new features and performance enhancements that can be found in v6.0.
The physical models and user interface of FLOW-3D/MP are based on FLOW-3D v11. A Full list of these features >
Results can be post-processed using the FLOW-3D/MP v6 GUI, FLOW-3D v11 GUI and FlowSight. FlowSight is a new advanced visualization tool for FLOW-3D based on the world-leading EnSight® post-processor. FlowSight offers users new and powerful ways to analyze, visualize, and communicate their simulation data. FlowSight’s capabilities include:
- Analyze and compare multiple simulation results simultaneously
- Volume rendering – allows users to see inside their results to reveal details not available in iso-surface displays
- CFD calculator – define new variables such as time averages, integrated values, dimensionless parameters, multiply/divide/scale variables
- Show fluid-structure interaction/thermal stress evolution results with fluid solution results simultaneously
- Flipbooks – flipbooks are essentially interactive animations that allow large results to be examined without the delays associated with stepping through results
frame by frame
- Animated time-dependent plots – multiple, time-varying plots to help convey complex analyses to customers of varying technical backgrounds
- Save and restore settings to make post-processing standard images and animations faster and easier
- Interactive 2D slices through flow and structural domains
- Animated streamlines – streamlines can be animated with moving arrows or cones
Performance of FLOW-3D/MP v6
- Parallelization is based on the hybrid MPI-OpenMP technology.
- Automatic Decomposition Tool (ADT) is used for domain decomposition. ADT has directional decomposition and works with nested and partially overlapping mesh blocks.
- Dynamic thread balancing enables load distribution across MPI processes during simulation.
- Memory management has been optimized in the pre-processor and the benefits can be seen especially in large simulations. The plot below shows an improvement in memory utilization of 24% less than the previous version for a 400 million cells simulation of a metal casting process.
- MPI communication has been reduced in the pre-processor to improve the runtimes. The plot below shows a 30% speedup in pre-processor runtime for a 25 million cells simulation of a metal casting process.
- Solver runtimes have been reduced for several simulations. The plot below shows a 40% improvement for a metal casting simulation with 4 million cells.
A new remote solving capability allows MP customers to submit their simulations to a remote cluster using client-server technology. This added functionality will allow customers to easily access all of their available hardware resources and manage their simulations in a straightforward and productive way.
User customization requires Intel® Fortran 13.1 compiler and Intel® MPI 5.0 library.