Curious about FLOW-3D? Want to learn about how we go about modeling the most challenging free surface hydraulic applications? Interested in digging deeper and consolidating your gains?
Our workshops are designed to deliver focused, hands-on, yet wide-ranging instruction that will leave you with a thorough understanding of how FLOW-3D is used in key water infrastructure industries. In the morning, you will explore using hands-on examples, the hydraulics of typical dam and weir cases, municipal conveyance and wastewater problems, and river and environmental applications. In the afternoon, you will be introduced to more sophisticated physics models, including air entrainment, sediment and scour, thermal plumes and density flows and particle dynamics. By the end of the day, you will have set up six models, absorbed the user interface and steps that are common to three classes of hydraulic problems, and used the advanced post-processing tool FlowSight to analyze the results of your simulations. This one-day class is comprehensive yet accessible for engineers new to CFD methods. There is no need for an advanced degree in numerical methods; practicing engineers in the water industry are the best audience for the materials presented.
All workshop registrants* will receive a 30-day license of FLOW-3D (a $2,000 value).
Cancellation policy: For a full refund of the registration fee, attendees must cancel their registration by 5:00 pm MST one week prior to the date of the workshop. After that date, no refunds will be made.
2018 FLOW-3D Workshops
- April 26 – Denver, CO – Knight Piesold
- May 23 – Toronto, ON – Parsons
- May 25 – Montreal, Canada – AECOM
- May 29 – Vancouver, Canada – Golder
- May 30 – Seattle, WA – Northwest Hydraulics
- June 15 – Portland, OR – Wood
- June 20 – San Diego, CA – moffat & nichol
- June 21 – Sacramento, CA – Wood Rodgers
(Full location information below)
- Registration is limited to 12 attendees
- Cost: $499 (private sector); $299 (government)
- 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Lunch provided by Flow Science
- Bring your own laptop (and mouse!) to follow along or just watch
*This offer only applies to prospective or lapsed customers.
Interested in hosting a workshop at your company? Request a CFD workshop >
About the Instructor
About our workshops
Our workshops provide attendees with a valuable opportunity to learn about FLOW-3D and its powerful multiphysics modeling capabilities. These workshops are designed to cover the fundamentals of specific modeling simulations, provide hands-on learning, and allow attendees to test drive the software by building a model from scratch. Additionally, each participant receives a free 30-day license and access to tutorial videos and practice examples.
You have completed the one-day workshop, now what?
We recognize all will not be absorbed in one day, and you may want to use FLOW-3D on one of your own problems or compare CFD results with prior measurements in the field or in the lab. After the workshop, your license will be extended for another month to use on your workstation. During this time you will have access to our technical staff in order to help you work through your specifics: we are here to help you at every step.
Who should attend?
- Practicing engineers working in the water resources, environmental, energy and civil engineering industries
- Regulators and decision makers looking to better understand what state-of-the-art tools are available to the modeling community
- All modelers working in the field of environmental hydraulics
Participants will learn
- How to import geometry and set up free surface hydraulic models, including meshing and initial and boundary conditions.
- How to add complexity by including sediment transport and scour, particles, scalars and turbulence.
- How to use sophisticated visualization tools such as FlowSight to effectively analyze and convey simulation results.
- Advanced topics, including air entrainment and bulking phenomena, shallow water and hybrid 3D/shallow water modeling, and chemistry.
2018 Workshop Locations
April 18, 2018
30 Shrewsbury Street
Holden, MA 01520
April 17, 2018
5 Milk St.
Portland, ME 04101
April 16, 2018
(Formerly March 8)
O’Brien & Gere
301 E Germantown Pike
East Norriton, PA 19401
April 13, 2018
Gwinnett Commerce Center
3700 Crestwood Pkwy NW Suite 950
Duluth, GA 30096
April 10, 2018
1201 N. Bowser Road
Richardson, TX 75081
March 29, 2018
Freese and Nichols
10497 Town and Country Way #600
Houston, TX 77024
March 22, 2018
1 Suite 300, E Pratt St Suite 300
Baltimore, MD 21202
March 21, 2018
Metropolitan Sewer District Wastewater Engineering & Education Center
1035 Woodrow St.
Cincinnati, OH 45204
March 9, 2018
440 S Church Street
Suites 800, 900 & 1000
Charlotte, NC 28202-2075
March 7, 2018
Hazen and Sawyer
498 Fashion Ave # 11
New York, NY 10018
February 9, 2018
Hazen and Sawyer
November 29, 2017
3901 Calverton Blvd, Suite 400
Calverton, MD 20705
November 28, 2017
1380 Wilmington Pike, Suite 100
West Chester, PA 19382
October 20, 2017
1670 Broadway Suite 3400
Denver, CO 80202
October 12, 2017
25251 Northline Road
Detroit, MI 48180
October 10, 2017
1600 Blvd. Rene-Levesque West, 16th Floor
Montreal, QC H3H 1P9
October 9, 2017
2nd Floor, 1 Pennsylvania Plaza
New York, NY 10119
October 5, 2017
100 Airside Drive, Airside Business Park
Moon Township (Pittsburgh), PA 15108
October 6, 2017
226 Causeway St
Boston, MA 02114
September 8, 2017
Freese and Nichols
10431 Morado Circle, Suite 300
Austin, TX 78759
September 7, 2017
Freese and Nichols
2711 North Haskell Ave. Suite 3300
Dallas, TX 75204
September 6, 2017
1899 Powers Ferry Rd SE #400
Atlanta, GA 30339
June 22, 2017
Brown & Caldwell
701 Pike Street, Suite 1200
Seattle WA 98101