Fluid Structure Interaction for Water & Environmental Applications
Frequently, the flows that hydraulics engineers need to model include moving components. In FLOW-3D, the movement of objects fully coupled with fluid flow can be simulated, making it possible to improve the function of these devices quickly and reliably.
Fluid Structure Interaction Capabilities
FLOW-3D's General Moving Object model is the only one of its kind in commercial CFD software. Its fluid structure interaction capabilities allow users to model rigid body dynamics with six-degrees-of-freedom fully coupled with fluid flow. This robust model has many attributes that gives engineers a powerful and dynamic tool:
- Users can evaluate the motion of multiple objects.
- There are no limitations on the geometry or range of motion.
- Objects can be allowed to move freely, or the user can prescribe the motion.
- Specified time-dependent thrust forces and torques can be applied to the objects.
- The range of motions includes motion around a fixed axis or point.
Floating logs collide with each other and with the wall, step and bottom of the channel.